How to Save on Your Cell Phone Bill
It’s amazing how much is spent every month on smart phones, text messages, phone calls, data plans, and so on. If you have more than one teenager or child in your home, the monthly cell phone bill may actually reach into the hundreds of dollars!
For those looking to cut costs, we’ve got some advice on how to save on your cell phone bill:
- Buy the phone in installments — Most people opt to purchase their costly smartphones by signing a multi-year contract with the service provider, but that can lead to some costly cell phone bills. Instead, pay for the phone in installments, usually one per month for 6 to 12 months. You’ll still pay full value for the phone, but you’ll spend far less on your monthly service once the phone is paid off. Do the math, and you’ll find that it adds up!
- Switch carriers – If there is one great thing about the wide variety of service providers, it’s the fact that you have options. Many carriers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T) actually offer to “buy out” your current contract if you switch to their monthly service plans. If you are still paying off your phone, it could be a good way to cut costs and still end up with a good phone and quality service.
- Only pay for the necessary data – How much data do you really need every month? Many people opt for the 5 GB, 10 GB, or even unlimited internet access packages, but that can send your cell phone bill cost through the roof. The truth is that the average user only needs about 1 to 2 GB per month. Business professionals who travel a lot do need a bit more, but for your average teenager or professional with a 9 to 5 job, more data is not the way to go. Cut costs by limiting the amount of data you get per month.
- Find ways to save on data usage – How much of that internet do you actually use in the long run? Instead of always surfing via your 4G network, why not connect to local hotspots and wireless networks? If you ONLY use your network when you are out of range of any networks, it will be much cheaper. Also, avoid anything that uses up your data–downloading apps, music, and videos, playing online games, or FaceTiming/Skyping with your friends.
- Compare and contrast – There are a lot of big service providers that offer a wide range of packages, so it’s time to shop around and find which of the service providers in your city offers you the best deal. Once you know what phone you want and what plan works for you, go to each of the carriers and ask for their best offer. Compare the offers to find the best. See if you can’t negotiate a bit by using the competing offers from the other service providers. You’d be amazed by how low carriers are willing to go in order to keep you as a customer.
- Consider smaller carriers – Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T are the big names in the cell phone service industry, but it may be worth your time to consider smaller companies like Republic Wireless, Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, or Ting. These providers have to focus on customer service in order to stay solvent, so they’ll usually be willing to offer you great deals. It’s all about the competition!
Be smart with your phone, and you’ll find that you can save a lot each month on your cell phone bill…
What other people are reading:
7 Ways for Wedding Guests to Save Money
Free Things to Do in New York City
Affordable Ways to Deal With Dry Skin in Winter
Start Your Own Business: 6 Businesses You Can Start Today
Inexpensive Cleaning Supplies