Get Cycling for Under $100
Cycling is one of the most versatile forms of exercise, as you can do it pretty much anywhere and at any time. You can ride your bike to work, or you can take your bike to visit a friend’s house. You can cycle with your kids at the park, or head out on a mountain biking/camping trip. Biking is a whole lot of fun, and it isn’t actually as costly as you might expect!
To buy a good bike brand new, you’re going to have to invest a bit of money. A good Shimano or Schwinn bike can run you $500 or $600, or you may end up paying even more if you go for a fancy bike. However, if you’re looking for a bike on the cheap, you should check out thrift stores, eBay, and local garage sales. The bike may be used, but it will probably be in good enough condition to ride.
Here are some more ways to save on your cycling gear:
- Ride in normal clothes – Just because others spend a small fortune on the fancy cycling gear, that doesn’t mean you have to. You don’t really need bike shorts, a fancy aerodynamic helmet, and a moisture-wicking T-shirt. Just head out in a comfortable pair of exercise shorts (not pants!), a tank top or T-shirt, and a windbreaker or sweater if you get cold. You’ll be comfortable enough in these clothes, as long as you have a change of clothing for when you arrive at your destination.
- Go off-brand – Many people will only buy Fox Racing, Nike, or Reebok bike clothing, but who says you need to do so? You can find great brands – such as Pearl Izumi or Nalini – that makes quality clothes, but their clothing is a lot cheaper. They may not be as fashionable as the top brand name clothes, but you’ll be comfortable in the right biking gear – and for a much lower price.
- Find discount clothing stores — If there is one great place to look for clothes, it’s Ross and Marshalls’. These two stores sell brand name clothing at amazing prices, as they have a tiny, often unnoticeable defect. You’ll find that the “bargain bin” at these stores are loaded with great clothes, and you can get all geared up with the best cycling clothes for less than $20 or $30 if you get lucky!
- Check out Nashbar --Nashbar.com is a website where you can find all sorts of biking accessories, parts, and equipment at discount prices. You may have to look through the site for a while to find what you’re looking for, but the gear will definitely be a lot cheaper than the stuff you’d find at your local biking store.
- PricePoint -- PricePoint.com is another website to check out for biking gear, and you may be able to take advantage of seasonal offers or special discounts. It’s not the cheapest place to find your gear, but it’s definitely cheaper than buying it at local bike stores. You may not always get lucky, but it’s worth checking out if you need to find something.
- Friendly Bikers -- If you’re friends with bikers or you’re part of a cycling club, it may be a good idea to ask around and see if any of your fellow bikers have gear, accessories, or bike parts that they aren’t using. You’d be amazed at how much stuff some bikers have – and stuff that they never use. They’ll probably be glad to sell it to you at a discounted price (recouping a bit of their investment) , or they may even give it to you for free.
- Goodwill -- I love Goodwill! It’s a great place to find hidden treasures, and I’ve found all sorts of cycling gear there! You can find cheap helmets, new bike seats, and even cycling clothing, as long as you find the Goodwill nearest the local sporting clubs. These Goodwill stores are usually the first places bikers will donate old bikes, gear, and clothing to, so they’ll be a good place to check out.
With these tips, you should have no problem getting ready to cycle while spending less than $100. At the very least, you will need:
- Sunglasses (which you should already have)
- Lights (for night cycling)
You should have no problem finding these things for less than $100!
What other people are reading:
10 Ways to Use Egg Cartons to Keep Kids Entertained
10 Ways to Reuse Plastic Grocery Bags
Cut Fuel Use and Save Big
6 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Mood
Where to Find Cheap College Supplies