7 Simple Ways to Cut Traveling Costs
If you plan on traveling for the holidays, it can be tough to find cheap tickets. With so many people traveling, flights may be scarce and pricey, and your holiday costs can rise steeply! Unless, of course, you use the following tips to help you cut traveling costs:
- House-swap — You may want to visit other cities, but there has to be someone interested in visiting your city. Sites like Home Exchange or Home Base-Hols allow you to offer your home to people visiting your city, and you will be able to swap homes. It will help you to reduce the cost of staying in the city you want to visit.
- Volunteer – Don’t have any family you want to visit, but want to get out of town for the holidays? Why not volunteer with organizations like the Rotary Club, Lions Club, or Optimist Club? They often send members abroad on charitable opportunities. Not only will you get to travel (on the club’s dime), but you’ll have a chance to do some good over the holiday season.
- Carpool -- If you’re planning to head out of town, why not get a few buddies to tag along? You can all drive together in a single vehicle, and everyone can pitch in for gas, tolls, room, and board. It can be an awesome way to see parts of the country you’d never otherwise explore, and you can hang with your friends over the holidays. It can be a lot more fun than you’d think!
- House-sit – Know someone who wants to head out of town for the holidays? Why not offer to “house sit” for them? Basically, you will stay in their house while they are gone, and all you have to do is a few chores, bring in the mail, and so on. If you want to house-sit outside your city, sites like House Carers and Mind My House can provide you with opportunities not only in your country, but around the world. Talk about a great way to earn a bit of money while enjoying a vacation out of town!
- Drive someone else’s car -- There are many services that will transport people’s vehicles cross-country for them, and these services will allow you to travel from City A to City B without spending a penny of your own money. As long as you are over 21, have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record, and can keep to a schedule, you should have no problem signing up to drive for one of these services. Heck, you can even make a bit of money while you’re at it!
- Fly budget -- Instead of finding the most comfortable airlines, look for the budget tickets! You can find many airlines that will allow you to fly around your country for as little as $50 (one-way). These airlines won’t be the most luxurious, but they are beautifully cheap. The travel isn’t what matters; it’s the destination that counts!
- Go WWOOFing --World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms allow you to stay at farms around the continent, and all you have to do is put in a few hours of work for every day you stay. You get room and board, and you can meet some amazing people. You’d be amazed where you can find organic farms around North America. It’s a fun, cheap way to get room and board for free, and it will cost you nothing more than a bit of your vacation time.
If you want to cut traveling costs, these are a few of the best ways to do so!
What other people are reading:
5 Frugal Holiday Gift-Giving Traditions
2 DIY Mitten Designs using an Old Sweater
Smart Saving Tips for the Frugal
DIY Baby Shower Baskets
4 Ice Cold Things for Kids To Do This Summer