25 Fun and Free Activities to Try
No money to spend on holidays or a weekend of fun? No problem!
You don’t always have to spend money just to enjoy yourself. Here is a list of fun and FREE activities to enjoy:
- Read in front of the fire. Have the whole family bring books, and enjoy an evening curled up by the fireplace.
- Play games. Break out those old board games and challenge each other to Risk, Monopoly, Stratego, and all the rest.
- Visit your local park or playground. It won’t cost anything to play around in the public area, and you can find a lot of fun ways to get exercise and play as a family.
- Join pick-up games. Instead of paying to work out at a gym, join games at your local parks, basketball courts, or football fields.
- Watch old movies. Check out the old DVDs you have on the shelf, and see if there are any that you haven’t watched in a while. You’d be surprised by how great some movies are even after years!
- Plant a garden. You’ll have to spend a bit of money on seeds, but you can find rocks, soil, and other gardening elements all around you in nature.
- Get some sun. Hit up your local beach or park for some fun in the sun, or spread a towel on your lawn for sunbathing in your own backyard.
- Take a nap. Sometimes, an hour of sleep in the middle of the day can feel like the most luxurious thing in the world.
- Take free classes. Most colleges, recreational centers, and libraries will have an assortment of free classes available for you and your whole family to take.
- Have a clothing exchange. Go through your closet and pull out anything you don’t wear. Have your friends do the same, and swap clothes so everyone gets a new outfit.
- Explore your city. Be a tourist in your own hometown, and see all the classic attractions. Or, explore the city on foot, and be amazed by all the hidden gems you’ll discover.
- Go on a bike ride. Break out your bikes, pack a lunch, and hit the road. You can even turn a cycling outing into a multi-day trip!
- Practice arts and crafts. You may be amazed to find you’re an artist, a painter, a writer, or a scrapbooker extraordinaire!
- Host a dinner party. Invite your friends over, and cook up a storm. See how creative you can get using only simple ingredients.
- Have a karaoke night. All you need is YouTube, and you can spend the night belting out your favorite tunes.
- Take a hike. Find a forest or mountain near your home, and go on an all-day hike. You’d be amazed by the wonders of nature.
- Visit your family or friends. Make it a point to see people you haven’t seen in a while.
- DIY a day spa at home. You have to have cucumbers, warm water, scented candles, and an assortment of oils in your house. Break them out and turn your home into a day spa!
- Surf the internet for new music. Between Spotify and YouTube, you can find pretty much all the latest and greatest hits for free.
- Pack a picnic. Take it to a nearby park, or bring it on a hike or bike ride.
- Write. It can be a novel, a poem, or a short story–it doesn’t matter, just write!
- Check out the free apps on your phone or tablet. Who knows what sort of treasures you can find.
- Make handmade gifts. They often mean a lot more than the store-bought kind.
- Make home movies. Or, break out old movies from the attic and play them for the family.
- Call or video chat with a friend you haven’t seen in years.
What other people are reading:
Helpful Hints as You Get Ready for Your Garage Sale
Ditch the Hotel: Alternatives to Save Big on Your Vacation
5 Ways to Save on Your Water Bill
The Bed Bug Purge—Do You Really Need All That Stuff?
Inexpensive Cleaning Supplies